“Not only does Phil know his subject, he is incredible to work with!”
-Christine Pauley, Exhibit & Education Coordinator
(517) 937-3213 phone
A LIFETIME OF RETAIL
I am a retailer just like you. I started working retail in1973 when my grandfather paid me 10 cents an hour to put price tags on boxes at the ripe age of seven.
I honed my skills running the largest independent toy store in America from 1993 (when I left a career in Team Building) through December 2016.
Now I put on my cape and fight for you, bringing you the lessons I learned the hard way.
Here is what I believe…
- Stores like yours are facing more and tougher competition than ever before.
- The retail landscape is heavily slanted against indie retailers.
- You can still compete and win.
- Independent retailers know more than just what products do. We know why our customers do or don’t need those products.
- Our competition might win the race to the bottom, but when we are on our game, no one can beat us in the race to the top.
- You do more than sell products; you make a difference in the lives of your customers.
- You’re here because you know there is more want to learn.
- I’m here because the more I learn, the more I want to share.
Here is what I want to do…
- Equip you with tools for your retail tool box above and beyond the markdown pen.
- Show you better ways to take care of your customers.
- Teach you the math you need to be successful over the long haul.
- Help you find the joy in running your retail store to go with the passion you already have.
- Convince your industry to hire me to speak at your next conference.
Here is a little more about me…
I LOVE TO LEARN
My grandfather was my first mentor. He encouraged me to seek out the best and brightest minds in retail and business to learn what they have done to be successful.
I read multiple blogs & books from Roy H. Williams, Seth Godin, Daniel Pink, and others. I attend workshops and conferences both within my industry and outside it. I study the retail landscape to see what is working and what isn’t working.
For twenty-three years I got to use my own store to test new ideas and concepts. The best ones get shared.
I LOVE TO SHARE
I love to teach.
I teach people how to shop for toys and baby products.
I teach parents how to encourage play in your family.
I teach expectant dads how to prepare for their new life as a parent.
I teach Jackson-area business owners like you how to grow your business.
I teach retailers all over America how to put more money in their own pockets.
I LOVE TO ENTERTAIN
I love my audiences.
I am a singer/songwriter, actor, radio and TV personality. I’ve played guitar in a bar in Nashville, harmonica at The House of Blues (Chicago), and taught 500 kids at once to sing The Long Johns Song at YMCA Storer Camps. I’ve done my own radio talk show and guest hosted a television talk show.
When you hire me to be a speaker, it will be as fun and entertaining as it is educational.
IN THE TRENCHES
This isn’t academia. This is tried and true retailing lessons from a retailer who lived it, used it, tweaked it, learned from it, and used it some more. This is the best of the best from a retailer whose store was named “One of the 25 Best Independent Stores in America” in the George Whalin book RETAIL SUPERSTARS (Penguin 2009).
Even when I closed my store, I had over triple the market share of the typical independent retailer in my category. You can have that in your market, too!